Forums / Arsenal
Order: Newest / Oldest
Rank Your Top 3 Gunners This Season (excluding RVP)
LeeChungYong (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Well, the season isn't over yet, but if you had to decide on your top 3 gunners this season so far who would they be? I excluded RVP because obviously he would be in everyones list.
3. Szczesny- Whenever I see this guy, he is always overflowing with confidence. As the new funnyman in the locker room, not only has he elevated the team chemistry, he has brought a new sense of sturdiness to Arsenal goal that has not been seen since Lehmann. Of course a lot of this was evident even during last season, but this year he has improved so much as a goalie.
2. Koscielny- Last year he was the target of most of the scrutiny from Arsenal fans, but this year he has proven that he belongs in the EPL. Remember, this is only his second year in the EPL, and he has gotten so much better in such a short period of time. He has played in 29 matches so far and has been the only constant defender in all of Arsenal.
1. A. Song- Has been so consistent this season. His defence has been as superb as ever and his passing has been outstanding. Has completed countless number of accurate long balls to RVP which have resulted in the back of the net. Already has 10 assists in all competitions which is a huge leap from last years 3
Sn3kyn00b (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Agreeing with you all the way. Szczesny unaffected by the 8-2, which is amazing, Koscielny's great improvement (come a long way since that League Cup final....) and Song's dribbles and chips! He reminds me of Yaya Toure a bit!
PeterzeGooner (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Szczesny is a crazy guy.... I can tell cause before he closed his twitter he used to write some crazy stuff.... You have to be mad to be a great goalkeeper that's why szczesny doesn't get affected by losing like that.... We are so lucky to have him
Chargui (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Song, Szczesny and Sagna.

First 2 will also be in everyone's list I think I choose Sagna for 3rd because he is vital or us both defensively and offensively, he brings so much to our side, it was obvious during his injury IMO. He came back and we looked immediately stronger defensively. Brought also a lot offensively (assist to RvP in that tough game in Anfield, first goal against Tottenham)
Totally agree about Sagna. With his return, our defence has been much more stable. I hope he stays at Arsenal until he retires
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I think Tex and Song would be in everyone's top 2, but Arteta has been mr consistency for the gunners and his goals were all vital this season. He should get a trophy next season too
Riglore (Arsenal) 2 years ago
You need to Have Song in there. Sagna would be but has been out for too much of the season so it goes to Arteta. Sczez is the final place. Though that leaves so many p[layers without the honourable mentions they deserve
Yeah, it seems like almost all Arsenal players have contributed to the season in some way or another. To me, Theo Walcott would definitely be in the honorable mention
Dougie27 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
This is really difficult because there have been so many great things that our players have done. I would have to go with the following:
Song-Has been doing so much this season. He is a great defensive midfielder (could be "more defensive" a little bit) and he plays so many important passes and balls forward.
Koscielny-Has been fantastic in the centre of defence and dealt well in my opinion with so many defensive changes around him.
Rosicky-There is no denying that our change of form recently has been partly thanks to his contributions in the last 2 months or so
Yeah Rosicky has been playing really well lately. If he played like this at the beginning of the season he would have been on my list as well
Song, szczesny and koscielny.... I would have probably added chamberlain if wenger gave him more playing time
Song, Szczesny and Wenger. Because who knows where we would be if he hadn't kept believing in his team
Ghanaboy95 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
For me:

1) Koscielny - Has been so consistent this season and again played excellent against some of the worlds top strikers. It hasn't mattered who he has partnered with him this season as he has still always played so well. He has had to play with Mertesacker this season and with Mertesacker needing time to adapt he has made Mertesacker be able to make mistakes.

2) Arteta - Wow, if this is a 'panic' signing I would be happy for Arsene to make 'panic' signings all summer. I can count his bad games with one hand and his consistency can maybe only be bettered by Koscielny. He has provided cover for the defence when needed and has given us different abilities in attack (long range strikes and set pieces). He has also allowed Song to showcase his technical ability.

3) Song - This is the season he has come of age and now everyone knows the name of Alex Song. His assists have been great and I personally feel he has grown in his defensive duties. How great is it that we have a DM who can be as dangerous as any attacking midfielder in the Premier League. He is one of the many players that have benefited from Cesc and Nasri leaving.

Honourable mention:
Szczesny - For the first six months of the season our defence was in tatters with Mertesacker and Santos adapting to the Prem, although Koscielny was great he could not be everywhere and we were too exposed. If Szczesny had not been in goal we would of lost a lot more games earlier in the season and we would of lost by a lot more goals if it wasn't for him. The Udinese save is one of our defining moments this season and other games early on he was tremendous. He had a blip mid-season (due to personal issues) but the Liverpool game and more recently against Wolves he made terrific saves.

*Sagna would probably be here if he wasn't injured for three months, Walcott also could of made it but when we had no full backs he was basically not here aswell. Rosicky has done well since January and Chamberlain has looked bright in patches
Well said, agree with everything you said!
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Szchesny,  Walcott  And  Arsene Wenger  
StageFright1203 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
1) Koscielny - Solid as adamantium in the back there

2) Rosicky - The vision, the ability, the tackles, the fluid passing and movement.... He gives us the much needed creative spark in the centre of the pitch.

3) Thierry Henry - I just had to do it. But probably the best loan spell I've seen from anyone. Imagine what it would have been like to have him all year. Plus he gave the squad a huge boost of confidence in his short return.

Honorable mention: Gunnersaurus - Boosts the morale of players, coaches, and fans alike
Gauthier (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Can't believe none of you put Oxlade-Chamberlain. One of our best players this season.

1) Song- His assists are incredible. His ability to lift it over players and onto V. Persie feet is fantastic. Has improved a lot since ast year. For me number 1 after Robin definitly.

2)Chamberlain- I have to put my second Alex in my list. He has skills most players can only dream of. He has been much better than Gervinho and it's a shame he hasn't playd more.

3) Arteta- A very good signing. Has been decisive in many games including his strike against Man. City
It's hard to pick a guy who has only started 5 epl games all season long
@Gauthier- I can see where you are coming from with AOX. He's as fast as Gervinho, much stronger than walcott or Gerv, best finisher out of all wingers, and good dribbling skill. He maybe a little out of control sometimes but with experience that can be fixed.
@PeterzeGooner- I agree with you. No matter how much potential AOX has, I can't see picking him to be in top 3 with such limited amount of playing time
Cloudst 2 years ago
My top 3 for the season outside of RVP:

Laurent Koscienly, Simply been brilliant in a season where there were big question marks about him, he answered all his critics and is now looking like the beast he was at Lorient. Fantastic player and very composed as well. His defensive play this season has been absolutely crucial to our team and rarely made mistakes in a make shift back 4 that he had to deal with. Easily our best player along with RVP

Alex Song, while he is a bit inconsistent this season he was still very helpful in aiding us throughout the season to get to this point. His creativity has definitely built up and he's one of the best CDM's in the league. While his defensive display is a little lacking imo this season its his creativity which makes up for it. Bear in mind I'm not bashing for his lack of defensive intervention (mostly cause Arteta is there to mop up the play) its more of a thank goodness for song we have the creativity. As long as song can get a balance between the two I think he could be our most important players in the years ahead along with usual names.

And finally Theo Walcott gets my nod as the third person cause seriously we didn't think he would be as important as he was. Greatly assisting RVP with his goals and also doing is usual back tracking greatness. I think Theo has finally found a balance between the two which is helped him mature into a better winger. While his finishing has lapsed a lot this season he made up for it with his better crossing this season which greatly aided RVP into finishing a lot of his goals off. Along with his 11 assists he has 8 goals which is close to matching his last season tally imo great step up from him

Honourable mentions:

Per Mertesacker- a more calming defender than our two other beasts he keeps the defenders in a more calm and organized poise imo also brings some much needed leadership.

Mikel Arteta- Most definitely the signing of the season, great defensively and offensively. Clutch is a great word for him

DaniPak (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Fuuuk its impossible to chose top 3! Lets make it top 11! Lol
Szchesny, Sagna, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Song, Arteta, Rosicky, Theo, Ox and Arsene Wenger
[account-removed] 2 years ago
This Question Isn't fair One because their is no room enough for giving top 3. RVP had the best season in his career, Koscielny is beast this season, Arteta had best season in his career, Alex Song had stepping up and he is now the only DAM in the world (Defensive Attacking Midfielder), Tex is showing his class, Sagna is beast as usual, Walcott had fantastic year

Kick4Life - changing lives through football