Forums / Arsenal
Order: Newest / Oldest
Full Season Review: 2011-12
Dougie27 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I think that it would be a great idea to post everything we want to get off of our chest at the end of such an up and down season. Our best moments, key points from the season and idea's for the summer and next season are all going to be hot topics now. So how was the season and what should we be looking for moving forward?
DANAFC (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Well here's what I think:
Best moment - 5-3 against chelsea
Worst - 8-2 to united
Although I think both these games were turning points, especially the 5-3, it gave the players some much needed belief
Best signing - arteta
Worst - tough but i'd say benayoun he hasnt played enough
We've already signed pod but I also think getting m'villa and someone like vertongen would do no harm, and also another full back

I think that coming 3rd after losing 3 of our best players is a great achivement.

That is all
Chico4 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
We got fourth with our beat >_
Chico4 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
We got fourth with our beat >_
PeterzeGooner (Arsenal) 2 years ago
If benayoun is our worst signing park what does that make park?
DANAFC (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I would have said park but I forgot he even plays for us :/
Arenas0838 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Best moment:5-2 vs spurs
Worst moment:8-2 vs united
Best signing: arteta
Worst signing: mertesacker, he haasn't been bad, just worse than the others imo
SKool (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Best moment:5-2 vs spurs and 5-3 at the Bridge
Worst moment:8-2 vs united and 4-0 capitulation at the San Siro
Best signing: arteta all the way. Brought light in to the midfield
Worst signing: Gervinho. Not really the worst, but he should be doing much better imo. Hoping for improvement next season.

Overall, its a fantastic achievement to get 3rd from the fallout in the start of the season. This is more than what I can ask
I actually think the 8-2 was a massive blessing in disguise...
In a way, it was a reality check for the team
Tecko (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Best moment: 5-2 win against Spuds

Worst moment: 4-0 loss to Milan, with 8-2 loss to MU in close second

Best signing: Arteta without a doubt, followed by Santos, who has chipped in a few goals and also provided some samba flair for the team

Worst signing: Sorry, but Park will have to live with this dubious honour. Though it isn't fair to judge him given his minimal playing time, I have the feeling that he is not part of AW's plans anymore
Tecko (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Just an add-on.
At times during the season, the team was horrendously out of depth, with all the injuries and our fringe players unable to step up. Lethargy set in and our key players especially RVP has looked short of fitness at times.

We definitely need to buy this window, though I don't advocate senseless spending
Deffyduck (Arsenal) 2 years ago
This has been the most frustrating season I've ever followed from start to finish. I was looking at the new boys during the preseason tour and Gervinho was on fire. However I think the pace of the premier league has been a bit of an eye opener for him.

Worst moment of the season had to be the 4-0 demolition at the San Siro. I was screaming at the TV, wishing that someone would show 1% of desire in that game. It looked like we had lost all self belief.

Best moment: hard to call between the 5-3 at the Bridge and the 5-2 against Spurs. I think the NLD win was more of a turning point. Having conceded 2 soft goals I had expected heads to go down but the way we came back was nothing short of magical to watch. I will also mention the 7-1 demolition of Blackburn. The pundits had given us a lot of stick and there was a supposed "bin bag" protest because of our form. The Ox exploded onto the scene, everyone had a great game and Henry came off the bench to wrap things up.

Best signing: Arteta does a lot of the unsung work, linking play and retaining possession like a boss. Should have signed him 2 years ago. Before the injury, I would have nominated Mertesacker for the award. His presence was vital during those times when we had no Vermaelen and no full-backs.

Worst signing: I'm gonna' have go give this to Gervinho. Park has barely featured all season so it's unfair to give him so much stick. Gervinho on the other hand has had the most gametime of all our signings and still does not know how to shoot or pass in the final third. I'm still expecting better from him next season though as he adapts to the premier league.

Verdict: given the abysmal start and the horrendous injuries that have plagued us at the beginning of the season I am more than pleased with 3rd. Man Utd are always going to be in near the top and with the spending power of City, it was only a matter of time until they clicked and became a big player. To pip the strongest Spurs side in 50 years as well as Chelsea is a good achievement.

If we can keep Robin and sign one defensive midfield BOSS then our creative players will do what they've always done. Next year could be the one
Redhertz (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I agree with Gervinho being the worst. Where was he for most of the season? Looked very lost at times, think we stopped playing him towards the end of the season.

I think we need signings though. Our depth is shocking, always have a couple of players injured at any one time
Gervinho is definitely a good player. You can tell that he has a lot of quality but it may take a bit of time for him to settle in. His numbers were better than Pires's in his first season
Gervinho needs time to settle imo. He has show what he can do, but its probably the intensity of the epl that pulls him down.

I'm looking forward next season Gervinho strong
Deffyduck (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Gervinho could definitely be hugely important over the new few seasons. I'm just sayin when you compare his contribution/impact to the likes of Arteta/Santos/Mertesacker, he's the worst of a good bunch. Still got loods of time to improve and he did fairly well for his first season
I would say he contributed about as much as Per did. He'll come around I'm confident
Ghanaboy95 (Arsenal) 2 years ago

Kick4Life - changing lives through football