Forums / Arsenal
Order: Newest / Oldest
Fulham V Arsenal, Jan 2
Goalkeeperfreak (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Bound to happen really. I mean everyone was concerned about RVP's scoring record in the last game but we had to grind out against a QPR side who actually played against us. Hope to see some improvement, at least in defence. Disappointing to see even the reliable Szczesny make that mistake at the corner. What happened to the Walcott I saw in the beginning of the season?

Djvr (Bolton Wanderers) 2 years ago
Not sure what you're saying here:

"we had to grind out against a QPR side who actually played against us. "

I see this as an implication that you're claiming Fulham 'didn't play'. I assume I'm mis-understanding your actual point though because Fulham destroyed Arsenal in the second half, both in terms of the actual result and the style of Football played
Goalkeeperfreak (Arsenal) 2 years ago
As in they managed to play their game, create some good opportunities despite their recent run of form. So we were not solid against QPR, which would mean we would struggle against a typically well-drilled Fulham side. Terrible performance from Arsenal and I did not mean to take anything away from Fulham
Champs (Arsenal) 2 years ago
The criticism of our defence is ridiculous and utterly nonsensical. It seems much of it is based on past defensive frailties which in my opinion we have overcome. What so called football fans fail to realise is we actually played this game without any reckonised full backs and even then once Djourou (our makeshift right back) was sent off we played squillaci who can't even play centre properly there. Other then Walcott who was more of a hindrance throughout the game I personally believe we played some of the best football of any team this season. All is not lost only a point behind Chelsea, I just hope we can get our full defence fit and our second talisman Wilshire back soon
SuperSpurs (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Seeing as how he is a team talisman, you might want to try spelling his name correctly?
"The criticism of our defence is ridiculous and utterly nonsensical"

After two goals, both of which were brought about from defensive errors [yes Fulham dominated second half, but they always fail to take their chances] you'd think Wenger, and Arsenal fans, would have realized their defence is the issue that they still haven't solved...
KKennysKopites (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Fulham should have had 4 goals today  
Xapmx (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Djvr  Your comments about defence cannot be taken seriously  Because your are a bolton fan. And bolton has no defence
@SuperSpurs now your just being pedantic and @ Dvjr yeh your a Bolton fan so...
Champs, I specifically pointed it out because it is you Gooners who complain the most about it being spelled wrong
Elfiie (Manchester United) 2 years ago
So who is to blame for not entering the game with recognize defenders lol
Hahahaha you mean't recognized fullbacks lol
@Xapmx / @Champs

Yup, I actually support a local side, instead of Arsenal, Man Utd, Tottenham or Liverpool like everyone else in this comment thread. I wonder how many of you have even seen more than a handful of matches involving the clubs you claim to support in the flesh....

"I support a good side therefore I know a lot about Football!" .... Oh wait it doesn't work like that....

I mean you're arguing that criticism of a team that conceded goals from an awful error by the goalkeeper, and a poor defensive header that set up the winning goal, and has a record of conceding such goals, to the point it has cost them trophies [well, the Carling Cup] is 'nonsensical'....
Yellow (Arsenal) 2 years ago
@ Djvr If you did actually watch the match, you'd know before the sending off, we were solid, even when Fulham dominated. And I was born and raised in London so yeah.

@ KKennyKopites - We could've been up 5-0 first half if Gervinho and Walcott didn't waste so many chances. They're just too inconsistent, brilliant one match, terrible the other
@Yellow Yes Arsenal did well, until they conceded two stupid goals due to poor defensive play.

Really what does the sending off even have to do with anything? Fulham were dominating long before then, and in both cases having an additional man on the field would have changed nothing - both goals were down to individual mistakes by Arsenal players - one being the Keeper failing to catch a cross [forcing his defenders to leave the ball so he could come to collect it in the first place], the other a defensive header that perfectly set up Zamora's volley.

Fulham dominated the play, but really didn't look like scoring - they had a lot of possession around the box but didn't utilize it beyond pot-shots. Arsenal's weak defence cost them the match.

But yeah, apparently I didn't watch the match [I did] because I'm not so naive as to delude myself Arsenal's defence isn't abysmal for the level the club wants to achieve.

Furthermore, I really don't care where you come from, it's more to do with the fact the aforementioned were using the club they / I support as a means of ignoring a perfectly justifiable comment. They can't actually argue those goals weren't defensive errors [which, alone disproves the claim that the criticism of Arsenals defence is 'nonsensical', but I also brought up examples of the Carling cup final - another ridiculous defensive mistake that cost Arsenal the match], so they go out their way to insult Bolton, implying that because I support them I somehow know less about the sport [the contrary is clearly evident] than they do
I commend you for staying loyal to your local team despite how awfully they are currently performing. I too am a local fan. However, your criticism of Arsenal's defence is hyperbolic. You are also being contradictory when you initially claim Arsenal were doing well until the two goals conceded to then concluding that having eleven men on the pitch would have done little to alter the result. I think the majortiy of football analysts will agree that we have defensively improved tremendously from that disastrous Carling Cup final and that is none more evident in Koscielny who has been on the whole awesome. Finally just as Man UTD have struggled of late with a makeshift back four, we have too.... I mean we resorted to Squillacci at LB and an inexperienced central midfielder at RB! However, I must confess our team performance did significantly drop in the second half and so therefore bore the consequence
Vishal024 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Just crumbled in the second half. Nothing more to say. What really displeases me is how everyone's attacking Squillacci, yes he may not be a world class defender but you can't pin the blame on him for everything.

We lose as a team, just as we win or draw together. Let's not single out certain individuals. Very distraught but the result was warranted after our poor display in the second half. Our emblem says "forward", so let's not dwell on this and move on. Endure the criticism, we can take it just as much as we can dish it out
Yellow (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I don't blame Squillaci but definitely Djourou. Should've kept his cool but no, his red cost us the game. If not, we'd be sitting here singing '1-0 to the Arsenal'
CFLNHLFIFAFAN (Chelsea) 2 years ago
So happy with this result! Love that arsenal got the loss! I was checking score when it was on and 1-0 and was mad, and was about to turn it on but was busy but great that Fulham got 2 late ones, one 90+ minute to win the game for Fulham fans at Craven Cottage great for them, and so happy that now Chelsea stays ahead Arsenal
KingHarryKewell (Liverpool) 2 years ago
It took Fulham the better part of the match to win this one, but they did give Arsenal a lot of pressure. Stockdale had a great game too today with a few good saves, especially in the scramble earlier in the match when Fulham were 1-0 down.

Good game from Fulham, disappointing for Arsenal, but I'm sure that the Gunners will pick up next match
Dinglehater2 (West Bromwich Albion) 2 years ago
Well played Fulham. Thought the game was over after the first half but that sending off changed the game. Senderos's tackle on Gervinho should have been a pen imo but my Stockdale's double save was just pure class. Schwarzer might find it hard to get back in the team lol
Some of these sub GKs have been very impressive. Other than Stockdale, Westwood was absolutely amazing at times for Sunderland and Guzan has been solid as well
Bunn for Blackburn has also been doing ok
Oh ya true, Bunn has been good as well
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Happy new year!  Whats need to be said were already said earlier on
Djkikis (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Everybody loses who cares.... We'll bounce back up
Georgio (Bayern München) 2 years ago
If you guys lose 15 games in a row now we all know its you who jynxed arsenal lol
Seanf24 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Good game.
And a good win from Fulham.
I just analyzed and was amazed to see that Arsenal on the day had 15 players with different nationalities and only one was English.
Just shows how good the Arsenal scouts are,
Wilshere will be back soon and hopefully Gibbs and Ox can secure a first team place by next season
Booomdario (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Seanf24, either that or they should try and focus on bringing up some own english talent.

But then again, arsenals got a great scouting network and they do a good job in not buying expensive ready players.

Still, I think it is important to have a number of boys in your team who are from your country
Neish (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Oh sh*t.... Not again...
Gilbert9 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Arsenal should have capitalized on Chelsea's loss and now they would have been among the top 4 had they won.
The red card was pretty harsh as well, definitely not a red card nor a foul. Zamora fell too easily
DaGaza (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
I think no matter which game they lose.... Arsenal fans should always be happy.... Arsene wenger has been so great that arsenal are in 5th place, one point behind chelsea and have made it through to the knockout stages in the champions league in first place with a tough group.... With the team arsenal has.... They should be fighting to enter europa league but wenger has kept arsenal ahead of teams with even better squads (in general means) and even kept the hope for conquering the title alive.... Be happy
GunsRus (Arsenal) 2 years ago
"i think no matter which game they lose.... Arsenal fans should always be happy.... "    What are you smoking?
DaGaza (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Well.... Sure if you wanna get on a serious note.... Arsenal losing to wigan would be a reason to get mad.... But due to the inconsistency that alot of the arsenal players have, the injuries over the past months and the lack of depth, the weaknesses in the defence.... Wenger has done extremely well to get you guys this far.... That's what I mean
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Ex Arsenal players love scoring against Arsenal...
ManciniManCity (Manchester City) 2 years ago
Bad referee decision. It well cost Arsenal the game. Wenger is right to be furious, but he will probably get fined for his allegations of conspiracy toward the referee in his post-game conference(s)
14Hesus (Arsenal) 2 years ago
We are entering that phase of the season when Arsenal begin to falter and recede. When players who once shined like a star become a white dwarf. When Arsenal's fate slip from their owns hands and fall into another's. When Chelsea and co give them the reach around and they return the favour. When Wenger starts to blame referees for his and his team's failings. When.... Well, when Arsenal become Arsenal all over again. I can't say I have faith in Arsenal grabbing a champions league spot with performances such as these
Sayan (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Don't you think it is early this year? We face this phase from February every season
14Hesus (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I said we are entering. Didn't say we are there yet. There is more to come! But things have to change man. It's painful when you love a team and all it does is infuriate you. It's like a lover with no fruitful returns

Kick4Life - changing lives through football