Forums / Arsenal
Order: Newest / Oldest
Arsenal Chat
VladZZZ (Arsenal) 1 hour ago
Some last year facts ahead of Sunday's game.
A year ago we won away game against City 2 : 0. There is some similarity in the situation now.
Back then we gave up possession, playing counter attacking football with just 35 pct possession.
The formation was 4:3:3 to 4:4:2 at times with Giroud and Sanchez upfront and Coq, Ramsey, Ox and Santi in midfield.
Think we may see some similar tactics on Sunday.
Question remains if there will be Vardy's personal marking and if so, by whom?
I would like to see Theo upfront to make defenders' life difficult, inflicting fouls.
If we go for 4:4:2 formation and counterattacking football, my choice would be:

Cech
Bel-Per-Kos-Nacho
Camp - Ramsey - Coq - Alexis
Giroud-Theo

Both Campbell and Alexis have great stamina and workrate, tracking back, and will restrict Leicester flanks - Mahrez and Albrighton.

Don't want to predict any score but feel we gonna' win this one.
Or else the trophy will go to Leicester, which will be a fairy tail miracle (their starting 11 price against City was meager 22 mio.
Guess all the football world (except City and Spurs) will want it then.
Sianinvincible (Arsenal) 2 hours ago
If don't win against leichester I think we can pretty much say bye
Deffyduck (Arsenal) 2 hours ago
It makes its much harder, for sure. But in this league you never know. The pressure of being actual favourites might change things for them.

Never rule anything out until it is a mathematically impossible!
GonnerTillEnd (Arsenal) 18 hours ago
Link: data.7m.cn/matches_data/92/en/get_miss.shtml...

Amidst all the criticism our defence has been getting lately....We actually have the joint 2nd best defensive record in the league alongside Man united. We've only conceded 3 more goals than Tottenham who in my opinion have the best defence in the league at the moment.

Last year we had the 3rd best defensive record. Not bad
PeterzeGooner (Arsenal) 10 hours ago
Think we have the most clean sheets in the league
LastGraspWinner (Arsenal) 2 hours ago
Well, just because others are doing badly does not mean we should be like them. I wudh we could concede less than 10 goals in the league all season because when we finally do that, we win the league without a doubt
Deffyduck (Arsenal) 2 hours ago
That's a minimum of 28 clean sheets lol. About 12 more than the season Cech and Szeszney won the golden glove with 16 clean sheets for the whole season.

I don't think that anyone has ever had that many clean sheets!?
Gunnzo (Arsenal) Yesterday
Claudio ranieri has only one one game out of 14 against arsene wenger. In arsene I trust
Godspeedysick (Footytube Moderator) Yesterday
*won
Deffyduck (Arsenal) 22 hours ago
GunzBlazing (Arsenal) 2 hours ago
That doesn't mean anything on Sunday
SpursTillIDIe (Tottenham Hotspur) Yesterday
Not here to troll but just wanted to illuminate you on this piece of news, as premier league clubs talk about necessary ticket price increases and meetings with cyber security companies to block illegal streaming of matches....

Link: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3439501/Billionai...
Thanks for the heads up.

Firstly, you don't have to greet by saying 'no trolling'. I think we're all adults.... Or most of us. We all expect a proper conversation regardless of rivals or not.

Secondly, the greed is beyond ridiculous and because of that I believe the league and its bearers will eventually suffer for that - there's a bubble and as it expands the natural cause results in a burst.

Thirdly, I'm not surprised by these owners. They're vultures of the highest bidder. They do not love the club but money. And even though we slate Chelsea for having Roman hats off to him. The guy lost so much money investing and it's now he's seeing a good return. That's freekin admirable if ask me. Proof is in the pudding, the man loves that club. Can't say the same for Stan or the Glazers.

Fourthly, be prepared for a war between fans and their clubs. As inflation goes up and locals are priced out you'll see more of what happened during the Liverpool game with a walkout. But here's what's going to happen, you'll have stadiums filled with more tourists like Arsenal does which means less atmosphere. Yes, clubs will look at us as an example of how to seat fans but I don't think it'll be enough to combat that end
LastGraspWinner (Arsenal) Yesterday
The chosen rich people will always take the rest of us as suckers. Never liked a single one of them tbh
Illman (Arsenal) Yesterday
Biggest football clubs in england are more like multinational corporations than your neighborhood club. The irony of this battle with fans is of course that fans want more and more competition in the transfer market (and on the pitch), but don't want the costs passed down to them. I'm not defending price hikes here, but if liverpool (and other) fans want the club to cater to their local fans and their affordability to go to games, the trade-off made should be acknowledged and kept in mind.

There are multiple reasons why the likes of Ozil and Sanchez play for Arsenal. One of them being massive matchday revenues (which were double that of liverpool last season if I'm not mistaken). Earning 50 million pounds more than your rival gives you a hand in negotiations
Tanmay (Footytube Moderator) 12 hours ago
Can you imagine, in any other sphere of your life, that you will commit to supporting one monopolist through thick and thin, buying their overpriced products which are in any case not that different from what they were selling last year? What's more, you WANT the monopolist to make as much money as they possible can.

Yeah. Fandom is a very weird thing. No wonder these people are taking advantage
SpursTillIDIe (Tottenham Hotspur) 11 hours ago
I have said this to my friends before and ill say it here now, I love tottenham for so many reasons, but I would stop supporting them if they became a monopoly like real madrid, barcelona, man you, chelsea, etc.

Some people will take this meaning out of context but I am tottenham till I die, or until they sell out...
Godspeedysick (Footytube Moderator) 2 hours ago
They stop being Spurs the minute it becomes money driven. Arsenal as well! The old Arsenal doesn't exist and I think on second thoughts I as a fan really should hold just one foot in the water and nothing more. I guess it's just the way the club plays that's more identifiable (at least within the past decade or so) than the name itself.

The badge though? It's like a flag, which still carries some meanings but that's really how far it gets. Bought and paid for by advertisers.

So, to all the Barca, Madrid, United, Juve and Arsenal supporters to name a few, does it really matter if your club is termed a BIG brand when you don't see a penny from it and the owners are really vultures that now owns that brand in which you wear and give them more money in their fat pockets than Donald Trump? Then they turn around in a record year for money in the league (English teams) and still make plans on raising ticket prices?

My money belongs elsewhere other than that. I'd rather walk around in the city and give a dollar each to every homeless I see. Actually, I know people who'd like a 5 bucks to keep them afloat.

Priorities for the sake of a 90 minute entertainment then back to square one again. That's what's wrong with the world. But what the hell do I know
Sianinvincible (Arsenal) Yesterday
If city and Spur tie and we won against Leichester that will be a very good weekend for me🤗🤗
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) Yesterday
If Arsenal - Leicester instead is the draw, who would you rather to win, City or Spurs?
Sjsung (Arsenal) Yesterday
Draw. At this point, I think every point counts, and 2 total points for mci/tot is better than 3
Spursaussie3 (Tottenham Hotspur) 16 hours ago
Yeah but if ya HAD to choose.... ;P
Arsenal718 (Arsenal) 15 hours ago
Obviously city
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 12 hours ago
Does that mean you are more worried about Spurs than about City?
Sjsung (Arsenal) 10 hours ago
I'd rather City win. I see City and Spurs as equal threats ATM and we have a good H2H against City recently. City are also one point behind with a worse good than Spurs
GonnerTillEnd (Arsenal) Yesterday
Https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=QB1FDn8xe5Y    Henry with some harsh truths....Damn
Tdsmufan (Manchester United) 1 day ago
Looking forward to the match against Leicester City. United are out of the title so I'm more focused on the teams that make up the top 4, its going to be a thriller this one! If Leicester can't win the title, I hope to God you guys will, can't stand seeing shitty win it this year
GunzBlazing (Arsenal) 2 days ago
I hope Metersacker doesn't start against Leicester City sunday, Vardy would have a field day with him
PeterzeGooner (Arsenal) 2 days ago
Hope he only gets fa cup
LastGraspWinner (Arsenal) 2 days ago
Slow and steady wins the race. Who cares if he's slow, he just has to be steady imo
Sjsung (Arsenal) 2 days ago
Actually think Leicester like to play quick up to Mahrez and Vardy but that's usually through long through balls. If we don't push so high up, it might actually help to play Mertesacker rather than have 2 pacey CBs
Godspeedysick (Footytube Moderator) 1 day ago
Can't just throw him back into the pits. But then again, he's one of the smartest defenders and his shortcomings may force Kos to be more on his p and q's.

Kos looses his head every once in a while in case you haven't noticed
Sjsung (Arsenal) 1 day ago
Yeah, Kos pulls a Szczesny from time to time. Hopefully not against Leicester
VladZZZ (Arsenal) 1 day ago
Actually if we decide to sit back, BFG in form could be a better option than Gabriel. Most of the job will have to be done in the midfield and the opposite half not to allow feeding those long balls to their pacey attack.
For that kinda marking Campbell has an edge over Ox. Maybe Theo over Giroud in attack for his speed to keep couple of defenders anchored
Vladd. The issue is a weak midfield invites more pressure. I'm hoping Coq starts but if he does start we can't even bet whether him and Ramsey can pair. I think Arsene tried to mesh them before and it didn't work
GSS, what other DM options do we have but Ramsey and Coq?
Arteta's days are over. Gibbs - not really his position, sub maybe to enforce defence if we win. Elneny, Bielik. - too soon for the game of this importance.
Flams - no way.... Who else?
Shaymoose17 (Arsenal) 1 day ago
My vote is for speed. I watched the replay of them vs city last night and Drinkwater and Albrighton just launch the ball forward first or second touch the second they win the ball back. I think Vardy would have a field day with Mertesacker. He's declining noticeably @ 31. I still love him in our team but only up against the right opposition
Shaymoose, that's not how City conceded. 2 goals from set pieces and one (2nd) Zabaleta's fault - first he lost the ball at the other half and then walked back instead of running his shoes off. Poor defending, lack of marking discipline. Not really matter of speed.
Agree on Per in general - he's becoming a liability on a regular match day but once in a while, in a tactical game he could be a right man in the tight place
Sjsung (Arsenal) 1 day ago
Well if we want proper defending from set pieces I still think Mertesacker is better than Gabriel in terms of heading/marking.

It depends on our game plan, whether we choose to play possession on counter. I would also like to see Theo up front instead of Giroud but I'm a little worried about his form
Sianinvincible (Arsenal) 1 day ago
Gabriel and Kos have no Chemistry but they only play together a few time so I think they will improve as time goes by. Gabriel is a lot faster than Mertasacker we need him in this pacey game
Shaymoose17 (Arsenal) 1 day ago
I will say I prefer mertesacker on the ball when we have possession. Gabby needs to clean up his passing from the back.

Vlad, I've been watching Leicester as much as I can this season and that's what they do to release Vardy into space
Rakeshh (Arsenal) 1 day ago
If at all we are playing BFG, then I would say, playing Le Coq is an absolute must as well. He is the best positionally sensible, reliable man we ve got in the midfield. Had enough of the positional non sense with Ramsey-Flamini combo
Now I'm thinking we may be able to get away with more pace than Merts.

Why? Because Leicester is a counter attacking team. They play direct and I think speed vs speed will nullify them.

My only concern is Huth who is great in the air
PeterzeGooner (Arsenal) Yesterday
^Giroud has to be the one who answers that. We need Gabriel against Leicester and Barca
Not really when you think we zonal mark on corners and free kicks
Deffyduck (Arsenal) Yesterday
I think we will be on the front foot as the home side. Leicester will choose to sit deep and counter and that will invite our CBs to push up to half way. That is when the long ball counter will hurt.

If we're playing a high line, put Gabriel in.
If we're going to show Leicester respect and drop off then Mertesacker is preferable for his reading of the game and his defensive assistance at set pieces
VladZZZ (Arsenal) Yesterday
We do have speed merits to compete with Leicester in open game,
But this will give them what they are looking for - long balls to Vardy and, almost certainly, goal/s and confidence.
Whichever tactics we chose - sit back and counter or dominate possession and attack- Vardy got to be marked all day long.
Shaymoose17 (Arsenal) 20 hours ago
These are time when being a manager isn't so easy. Have to choose the right tactic and make sure your players go by it and also the right squad selection
Chargui (Arsenal) 2 days ago
On Ramsey, I feel that most of the criticism he gets since replacing Santi in the middle isn't accurate. He does make the right choices. Against Bournemouth he created the first goal with a clever ball for Giroud at the far post and he gave the assist to Ox seconds later. He isn't as technical as Santi but he brings a lot of distribution as well.

I don't think our team can't be criticized, certainly Ox and Theo and even Gibbs could be showing more. But Rambo has been performing and adapting to the team's needs from day one this season. I struggle to understand how he's being criticized so much on here
VladZZZ (Arsenal) 2 days ago
Tend to agree. His pro's are overwhelming. Couple of weak points, where he has to improve and, guess, he knows that.
As box to box player he has to not only track back but also to mark properly (he did not mark Yaya on City goal) and sometimes he is too greedy at the goal, hasty shooting instead of passing.
His critics may overlook the fact that he has had no decent and reliable partner at midfield lately, and that may be the reason that his performance did not appear flawless. Nonetheless he was MOTM twice recently for a reason.
He should stay in the center of things on Sunday, backed by Le Coq
Yeah Ramsey does so much for the team. I think the only reason we hate on him is because he doesn't have the stats so far this season and there are so many good players in and around his position. I'd think it's hard to find someone else who can play anywhere in midfield the way Ramsey does. He's a bit like Park Ji Sung for ManUtd IMO
Nikol4i (Arsenal) 2 days ago
Remember that time we went to Leicester and Sanchez got a hat trick and we won 5-2? We should try that again this weekend
VladZZZ (Arsenal) 2 days ago
It was quite an open game. Leicester had not a confidence level, they do now. I would not try the same tactics, not even sure we should dominate possession. Maybe it is better to sit back, press high and tight, leaving them no space for long balls and quick counters, and counter ourselves. Wothink?
Filsuf (Arsenal) 2 days ago
Sanchez not only scored 3 goals, but he also put in a defensive shift to help Monreal completely take Mahrez out of that game
SKool (Arsenal) 2 days ago
Glad we won that game, and yeah the foxes were just about to get started that time, but we played our best and won. We better win it this sunday haha
It'll be interesting because both teams have what it takes to hit on the counter. Which manager will choose to sit back and which will choose to attack?
YungGunner (Arsenal) 2 days ago
Arsenal v Leicester City at 7 AM on Sunday. Lol I'll be watching the replay around 12pm lmao
AZgunner (Arsenal) 2 days ago
5 am...
Damn man lmao    I would stay up till 5am, then sleep after the game. Lol
AZgunner (Arsenal) 2 days ago
/:
7am on Valentines Day, might I add
DaniPak (Arsenal) 2 days ago
Iam going snowboarding to Colorado for that weekend, gonna' have to wake up to watch the game and steam it off on the mountain after that! I think the game will be there at 5 am as well
AussieGooner14 (Arsenal) 2 days ago
Feel my pain
I'm happy. But Arsenal don't win early games. There, I called it
YungGunner (Arsenal) 1 day ago
@Sjsung    Here's the problem: you'll be tired af for Valentines Night. Lmao
Godspeedysick (Footytube Moderator) 2 days ago
Ouch! Zouma out for the rest of the season. Ligaments. Poor kid
Oohtobeagooner (Arsenal) 2 days ago
It's pretty obvious that he tore his ligament during the incident. No knee ligament can support that kind of bend. Poor kid. Hope for the best in his recovery
Deveus (Arsenal) 1 day ago
Even though I hate Chelsea alot, I wouldnt wish that on Zouma. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery
Sjsung(Arsenal)8 hours ago
"I think if you listen to Wenger's press conferences too, he sounds more direct and confident whenever he's asked about the title. I guess he's been in the title fight many times before. He knows what he's doing. "

I guess if he grabs you and jumps while being in a moving plane without parachute you'd still say that.

Just saying, I'm fully trusting no man because man ain't perfect and he ain't God either
ArsenalHero520 (Arsenal) 2 days ago
I never comment but I am on here all the time and had to say something. Why are you calling someone out for a quote that is 4 hours old, and instead of replying to the comment you have to bring it back up for debate by making it a new comment. I've read you and other mods complain about not just replying in thread before so how is this any different?

Just as you so seek to be able to have your opinion about Wenger without be called out, Sjsung should be able to have faith in Wenger. Seems pretty hypocritical to me
DaniPak (Arsenal) 2 days ago
GSS being expressing a lot of dislike towards Wenger, and that's your opinion and that's ok.... No need to call someone out like that....
I disagree with your opinion towards Wenger, I think he still got a lot to offer to this team.... Yes he is not perfect like any other manager, but he dedicated his all to Arsenal. Brought Arsenal to the next level and deserves some respect. Unlike just constant criticism and forgetting what this man did for the club. He is not God but he is the greatest coach/manager Arsenal had, in my opinion and I'm sure lots of gooners feel the same way.
I have mixture of feelings for Wenger.

Positive: I think he deserves all the respect in the world for building such a great club and beautiful football. Genius

Negative: Past 4-5 years, football clubs have dominated across Europe, clubs like Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, even the likes of United/Chelsea and now Spurs are progressing in the right direction with talented players and their new manager. Arsenal, as a football club has been stalled for many years now. Yes, we're spending wisely past 10 years and qualifying for Champion League, but beyond financial, we're not as strong. We blame it on the injuries each and every single year, relying on players like Wilshere or Flamini or Bendtner and the list goes on. Let me ask you something: What's the point of qualifying for Champion League every year and can't get past Round of 16? We could just not qualify for Champion League, not receive that Champion League Qualification money, but instead just try to win a Premier League all out? Lol

Wenger is stubborn man and he is very dedicated to his philosophy. Unfortunately, its been a decade or so, since we won any major trophy. I understand the support and beliefs that some of the fans still have in him, but a change wouldn't be a bad thing. Someone like Klopp would have been a great change.
No need to escalate this into an argument guys. It's cool - GSS and I've both been here a long time.

I certainly have faith in Wenger more than most people do but I never would "fully trust a man" either. But given the point we're at in this season, we don't have a choice than to back Wenger, and I just built on the previous comment that Wenger seemed more ruthless by acknowledging that there's a slightly different air to Wenger's pressers in the past few weeks that I haven't really seen in a long time, perhaps since the Wenger-Ferguson days
Why so uptight? There lies the problem. Why call me out calling someone else out? We have a cordial slight banter relationship.... As what Sj said, no need to escalate.

But what you can do is contribute occasionally
YungGunner (Arsenal) 1 day ago
They're BFF guys. Lol its okay
DaniPak (Arsenal) 1 day ago
Haha my bad GSS! Really hard to understand by reading sometimes sarcasm and banter...
Shaymoose17 (Arsenal) 2 days ago
The secret behind the reason Flamini still plays: Flamini is the reason why Ozil is shining at Arsenal. He gives him the warm fuzzies inside haha watch the video and just look at those affectionate arm touches. There is so much bromance going on there!

Https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=ajGnBUKR-M0
TheoryONDreee (Arsenal) 2 days ago
I honestly believe there is something going on between those 2. Watch Ozil turn s**t next season without him

Kick4Life - changing lives through football