Forums / APOEL Nicosia
Order: Newest / Oldest
APOEL Nicosia V Olympique Lyon, Mar 7
Skymil (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Interesting to see how they celebrate it!Congrats to apoel for the first time in history for cyprus to qualify. Hopefully you can keep the performance for the next round
Kristian (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Hey Loris, feel free to dive the right way at least once
Germanfan (Borussia Dortmund) 2 years ago
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought on a penalty kick out if the ball "does not have forward motion" then the play is dead. If that is true then Lyon's second kick should not have counted.

Anyone know the rule for sure?
Germanfan (Borussia Dortmund) 2 years ago
I found from a 2006 FIFA rule book that "When a penalty kick is taken during the normal course of play, or time
Has been extended at half-time or full time to allow a penalty kick to be taken or retaken, a goal is awarded if, before passing between the goalposts and under the crossbar:

The ball touches either or both of the goalposts and/or the crossbar and/or the goalkeeper The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed.

I have heard, though, that because a shoot out is not part of play that once the ball stops moving forward the play is over. Can anyone verify this?
Lessen (FC Barcelona II) 2 years ago
Actually I thought until I saw this live last year, the goaly saved it but it kept moving while he was celebrating and the goal was allowed

Its funny
MaximOrlov (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Good job Apoel!
Zizuthelegend (AC Milan) 2 years ago
Finally one underdog is in the next round.... Man love Champions League.... The only tournament that has so much drama and excitement.

Apoel hope they beat another big team.... Wish this year is like the year Porto won
KidRobe (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Much respect to Apoel, they deserved this. Good luck in the next round as well. Unless you get paired with Madrid lol
Batman72 (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Too bad fifa couldn't help Lyon in the penalty shootout. Good on ya Sepp, you should apologize to Ajax now. What for? .... Foul!Tell them how bribes are pocketed by clubs and football officials. You must know most recently Dynamo and also Madrid-Ajax match. Rotten...
Georgio (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Did not see that coming. Good job apoel
SubZero (Manchester United) 2 years ago
What keeper apoel has, he saved the match. Great game by apoel
Raibnj (Valencia) 2 years ago
Awesome.... Surge ahead guys.... Saying again.... No team in Champions league should be taken lightly.... They are there in the first place for a reason and that's because they are one of the very best....

Waiting to see whom they get paired against in the quarter!
Naki77 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Congratulations apoel
Vishal024 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Congrats, apoel and I'm disappointed at Les Lyonnais, there wasn't anything positive about their performances here. Nonetheless and entertaining game to watch, shows that no team can be underestimated here. Very promising in terms of the benefit of Cypriot football too
Marmitton (Monaco) 2 years ago
Let's just hope that Marseille will not lose againt Inter, French football is really in trouble...
Diamond100 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
PSG next season?
Thefrenchy (Olympique Marseille) 2 years ago
I don't really know how people can say that OL was totally "rubbish" and apoel was so "Awesome".... We're talking about a penalty lottery here that's football
I'm happy for apoel, it's fun and optimist to see little teams come through in 1/4 finals even thx to penalty kicks. It's maybe their only way to qualify, but it will give force and courage to other minnows
Concerning lyon, it's not their best season for sure, but they should have killed this game a long time before to be killed by penalty decisions. Now, they will have to concentrate on qualifying themselves for the next champions league
Raynor (Sporting CP Lisbon) 2 years ago
Congrats apoel! Anything can happen apparently!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football